While I’d dabbled with podcast listening during my commutes pre-2012, I more seriously picked up podcasts during my first maternity leave.
My podcast subscriptions change throughout the year, sometimes more filled with entertainment and other times with news. This year, my iTunes Podcasts app has been full of business and blogging podcasts, although I still have a few other favorites in the mix.
I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t listen to every episode, especially of the shows that run long. For any of the podcasts, but especially the business and blogging podcasts, I’ll skim the title and quickly delete the episode if it’s too far off-topic.
I will often listen to parts of episodes beyond my current development – it gives me something to shoot for or at least a sense of what’s ahead (and maybe some tips on what to avoid as I grow this blog.)
Here are my top podcasts that I’ve been listening to as I build an online business, continue to freelance and grow our second-year vegetable (and berry!) garden.
Online Business and Blogging Podcasts
- ProBlogger Podcast [Website] – This weekly podcast runs over 30 minutes, but the content provided is so helpful to me as a new blogger. The host emphasizes the importance of providing useful, actionable content for blog readers and the value of building long-term relationships (not just click-bait for traffic.) I never seem to have the time to visit the ProBlogger blog, so the podcast has been a great way for me to be introduced to their extensive content.
- Simple Pin Podcast [Website] – A wonderful weekly podcast that covers a broad swath of Pinterest-focused content.
- She Speaks Blog [Website] – A recent addition for my rotation, the host has a casual style that makes the listener feel like they are having a conversation with a girlfriend.
- Smart Passive Income Podcast [Website] – Another recent podcast addition for me, and I only listen sparingly, as the content piece of the blogging puzzle is my focus now, not income. But, I do want and need to learn more about online income, so I’m watching the podcast titles as they come in, and selectively listening. I’m listening to the host’s other podcast more regularly…
- Ask Pat [Website] – This daily podcast runs 5-10 minutes daily, and just covers Pat Flynn’s response to a single listener question on all things business, blogging, marketing and lifestyle.
Career and Business Podcasts
- 3,2,1 iRelaunch [Website] – The iRelaunch organization works closely with women (and men) returning to the workforce after a career break. Hosted by iRelaunch’s founder, the podcast provides excellent tips and tools for anybody searching for a new job after raising children, providing eldercare or any other reason for a sabbatical or career break.
- Side Hustle School [Website] – At reliably under 10 minutes per day, the host features one successful side hustle per day and highlights lessons for listeners to take away and possibly apply to or inspire their own projects. I mentioned my favorite mom-focused Side Hustle School episodes here.
- Christy Wright’s Business Boutique [Website] – I’m just starting to listen to this program more, as I’m trying to be conscious of growing a business as well as a blog. This host does include some religious content in her training, which some listeners like and others less so.
- The Goal Digger Podcast [Website] – I just added this podcast, and can’t wait to listen.
- CopyBloggerFM [Website] – As with any specialized podcast, sometimes the content fits and sometimes it doesn’t. For right now, I still watch the titles come in, and it’s worth a look, especially if you write (or want to write) content for business clients.
- High Income Business Writing [Website] – When the topics and interviews on this podcast align well with my freelance business, these are a must-listen for me. I didn’t start my freelance business with any past “writer” job title, I just happened to do a lot of writing within the scope of many of my other jobs. So, don’t rule out freelance writing too fast. It’s a great, low-investment freelance option (more posts on that soon!)
Personal Growth Podcasts
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin [Website] – I don’t always have the time to listen to her longer episodes, but she also publishes “little” episodes that are just delightful and I eagerly devour them when they show up in my feed.
- Dear Sugars [Website] – These two authors dish out thoughtful responses to anguished letter writers struggling with a relationship or life decision.
Entertainment and Other Podcasts
- Young House Love Has A Podcast [Website] – I started reading the blog back in 2012 while nursing my first child. The family went on a blog hiatus in 2014, and came back with their weekly podcast last year. While I’m not a decorator at heart, their podcast really is more than just a home show. It’s mostly light-hearted fun, and if you are from Virginia, you’ll love their talk of Richmond, Cape Charles and a tiny little slice of NoVA once in a while (to get their IKEA on.)
- Grounded Reason – Where Tech and Policy Collide [Website] – I’ve been trying to get our family to cut the cord (get rid of cable). So far, unsuccessfully. However, the guys leading the charge with this podcast are my source of all information related to dropping our cable bill (well, other than the internet portion, that is!)
- Living Homegrown with Theresa Loe [Website] – A garden and preserving podcast with a more yuppie, left-leaning vibe.
- Pioneering Today with Melissa K. Norris [Website] – A garden and preserving podcast with a more Christian vibe.
- The Survival Podcast [Website] – A garden and preserving (and more) podcast with a self-sufficiency vibe. (Really, it’s true. The title is a bit misleading, the podcast is much more about self-reliance than survivalist rhetoric. It’s good stuff.)
Have you been listening to any other entertaining, educational or inspirational podcasts? Do any of my suggestions sound good to you?
Are you searching for a podcast on a topic and you just can’t find it? Hmmm… business opportunity? Apparently, podcast audiences are expected to continue growing…
Want to receive updates from me about ending your career break? Updates about new content, resources and events for moms returning to work? Sign up for the newsletter, like my Facebook page, or join the Facebook Group so we can stay in touch!