Do you know a new mom back from maternity leave? Here are some great gift ideas for moms going back to work after having a baby.
Or, are you the mom back from maternity leave soon? If so, take a look at this list of suggestions to help pamper yourself or plan what to bring on day one back in the office…
Take a look at this list to help you brainstorm some amazing gifts for the mom back from maternity leave!
Gifts for the New Mom from Colleagues
- Starbucks or restaurant gift card – Returning to work after having a baby, the new mom may have an few sleep-deprived nights. A gift card for a dose of morning caffeine from Starbucks (or the closest coffee shop to the office) might be well-appreciated!
- A gift card for a nearby restaurant could be a big help on busy days when she wasn’t able to pack a lunch that morning.
- Snacks “Emergency” Kit – Put together a simple welcome back “emergency” kit from the grocery store. Pick up a medium sized plastic container with lid (that will fit in a desk drawer) and include trail mix, breakfast bars, chocolate or gum. Throw in popcorn or oatmeal, too, if you have an office microwave.
- Flowers and a card – A simple bouquet of flowers and a card are a nice way to brighten up a first day back in the office.
- Copy of Law and Regulations – Is your employer supportive of new parents? Are company or government policies and regulations in place (or not being followed without a push from employees) that she should be aware of?
If you’ve been in her shoes, and know the relevant information that she might need (to best advocate for her rights), could you share that information with her?
Here’s a short clip about a mom’s rights pumping at work.
Thoughtful Gifts for the New Mom
- Amazon Fresh – Yes! Amazon now delivers groceries as well as all our other stuff! Hello, Whole Foods!
If the service is available in her area, tell the new mom about it (forward this link.) And, buy her an Amazon Gift Card!. If she decides not to try Amazon Fresh (or if the service is not yet in your area), she can still use your gift for diapers, wipes and all her other essentials.
If you’re not certain about what she wants, needs or likes, then this gift card will most likely be a great option.
- Cash – Did you know that some moms return to work before they are required? Some of these moms are returning sooner due to financial concerns. Help a mom out!
If you can’t financially help, tell her about the crowdgifting site Plumfund – it even has a Babyfund section. For example, some Plumfund account goals are to cover additional days or even weeks of maternity leave.
- Books or magazines – Do you have a favorite book or magazine? If the new mom is pumping, she may need some relaxing reading material during pumping sessions. Consider passing along light-hearted books or magazines.
Gifts for the New Mom Pumping at the Office
This category is definitely for close friends only! If you have to think about if you qualify as close enough to a mom back from maternity leave, just skip this section! 😉
- Occupied Sign – Here are some options to keep people out while the new mom is taking a few moments to pump.
- Shawl – For a little additional privacy while pumping at the office, and just in case somebody disregards the occupied sign!
- Milk boosting herbal teas – This brand is widely available, and you may even be able to pick it up at a local grocery or drugstore.
- Water bottle – A lactating mom needs to stay hydrated! This is a great no-spill re-usable bottle.
- Reading – As best as possible, mom should stay relaxed and at peace during her pumping sessions. Especially if her pumping location does not offer access to either a computer or mobile phone service, one of these actual books or a downloaded audiobook would be great company.
- Cooler bag – With all this pumping, she’ll be needing a cooler bag to transport the milk back home. This option has a flat base (less likely to tip over) and is purpose-made for baby bottles (so it’s tall enough.)
- Double pump bra – This bra allows the mom to be hands-free while pumping on both sides, so she can read a book, take a sip of water and be ready to cover up, in case anybody disregards the “do not disturb” sign and busts on in…
- Pump – Now, you’ll only want to do this in close consultation with her, as she may have already picked out a pump (and hopefully her insurance covered it!) If she already has a pump, she might appreciate having a second pump to leave at work.
- Pump parts or accessories – Another budget-friendly option, but also so helpful: could you buy a few spare parts, bottles and lids for her one pump, so that she could leave one spare set at work?
Still deciding on the best pump? Here’s a helpful video:
Splurge Gifts for the New Mom
- Soda Stream – A fun way to dress up water without any worrisome additives. This is a great idea for the mom who has everything else, but needs to stay hydrated.
- Wardrobe update – Not sure whether she wants to update her office attire? Help fund a mini return-to-work shopping spree with Stitch Fix.
You cover the $20 styling fee and perhaps a bit more for an outfit or two, and the new mom will receive a selection of pieces that fit her tastes, needs and budget.
She’ll try them on in her own home, and only keep (and pay for) those that she loves! Just click the FAQ link on the website to learn more.
Help her return to work with confidence!
- Salon visit – Get a gift card that covers the cost of a cut and blow dry with her favorite stylist.
Find her favorite (and most convenient-to-her) nail salon and buy another gift card. If lack of childcare prevents her from running out and using these cards, see if you can help solve that problem, too!
Before You Buy…
Many of the links above are for products available on Amazon.com.
Sometimes Amazon prices are the absolute best deal, and other times, Amazon is just the most convenient source (but best value, not so much.) Check out #2 in this post to get the best deal on your Amazon purchases!
If you’re not sure about her current needs but want to surprise her, you can ask if she has an Amazon Wish List or try your best to buy something from an online retailer with a bricks-and-mortar store close to her.
Do you have some more ideas for the mom back from maternity leave? Do you see something missing in this list? Tell me your favorite must-haves in the comments, and let’s make gift-giving easier for our loved ones (and the next reader!)
Have you already checked out my Gift Guide for the Working Mom? If none of the options above fit just right, take a peek at the other gift guides and maybe you’ll find just the right present for the special person in your life!
P.S. Before you buy, do a quick search of Amazon’s Wish List feature (I talk about it here) to see if the mom in question already has a public wish list!
If you’re shopping via Chrome browser, take an extra minute to download the Honey extension to price check. Check out tip #2 here for my screenshare of the Honey extension at work.
Have you already checked out my other Gift Guides for the working mom or traveling for the holidays? I have a lot more ideas over there!
Want to receive updates from me about ending your career break? Updates about new content, resources and events for moms returning to work? Sign up for the newsletter, like my Facebook page, or join the Facebook Group so we can stay in touch!